Quarter of tenants admit to paying rent late
Tenants are routinely misbehaving, with over a quarter admitting to paying their rent late.
- 26% of tenants pay their rent late
- One in ten admit to having done a moonlight flit to avoid paying the landlord money
- 18% have kept pets in the property without the landlord’s permission
- 15% have received complaints from neighbours for excessive noise
- 8% have sub-let to someone else without the landlord’s permission
- 8% admit to having committed a crime – for example, drug-related – on the landlord’s premises
- 10% say that police have been called to their property
AXA says the findings are of concern because separate research it carried out last October also shows that 38% of landlords do no checks at all on their tenants and one-third never visit their properties during a rental.
The firm says the riskiest tenants are males aged between 18 and 24, paying £700 to £1,500 rent per month, and located in the west midlands.
Central Housing Group can help landlords that have tenants that pay their rent late by offering a guaranteed rent scheme.